Just like a lot of women, you too go through the phase of baby fever when all the cute baby videos on social media and the babies at the mall make their eyes swell up. Yet it might be taking months to get pregnant and conceive a baby of your own. Don’t worry in case you are not conceiving immediately. Reports show that around 80% of couples that have regular sex get pregnant within one year.
But sometimes even a year feels like a very long time when you have got baby fever and all you want is to have a baby of your own. Luckily there are numerous ways that can increase the chances of you getting pregnant.
What should you do to increase fertility?
- Eating healthy is a must.
- Exercise regularly to keep yourself fit.
- Avoid the contraceptive pills for some time.
- Avoiding smoking and drinking is a must.
- Have a proper routine in your life to stay healthy always.
Top Ways for Boosting Fertility for man & Woman
As fertility gets affected by a number of different factors such as age, genetics, and lifestyle, if you are extremely anxious about it don’t be afraid to ask your doctor for advice. The super-effective ways to become more fertile are as follows.
Try to maintain a healthy body weight
Proper and healthy body weight is crucial for maintaining fertility. Being either overweight or underweight will affect your reproductive cycle. Body Mass Index (BMI) score between 19 to 24 will indicate a healthy body weight. A BMI score below or above that range needs to be discussed with your doctor.
Keep an eye on your BBT or Basal Body Temperature
This is a natural way of tracking your menstrual cycle. Basal body temperature indicates when you are ovulating. Here is what you should know about the Basal Body Temperature.
- Basal body temperature refers to the lowest body temperature that you attain when you are at rest completely.
- This temperature fluctuates throughout the menstrual cycle.
- Right after the day of ovulation, BBT tends to rise to around 1° and it stays elevated till the next period.
You can invest in a basal temperature thermometer and start charting your BBT every morning before getting out of bed. You can use the thermometer to track your BBT for a few months to know when you are ovulating and then you can have sex with your partner around that time.
Using an ovulation calendar
Maintaining a menstrual cycle calendar for a few months to track fertility will help you understand the length of your menstrual cycle and will give you a better insight into the days of each cycle when you are likely to be most fertile. Over a few months, you will be able to understand patterns in your cycle. Use this information to have sex during the most fertile days of the month.
Such over-the-counter kits are widely available and they will help to assess the days when you are ovulating. This is an easier and more accurate way of understanding when to have sex. However, even such kits aren’t 100% accurate.
Maintain a proper diet
The foods you consume will affect your fertility. Certain foods can cause the menstrual cycle to be irregular. This contributes to skipped ovulation in some months.
- Your diet should be rich in antioxidants such as folate and zinc as they are shown to improve fertility in both men and women. Antioxidants can deactivate the radicals that can damage both female eggs and sperms. Foods such as vegetables, fruit, grains, and nuts like walnut are always packed with beneficial antioxidants such as Vitamin C and D, lutein, folate.
- Including healthy fats is important but you should avoid foods high in trans fats as they may increase the risk of infertility owing to their adverse effects on insulin levels. Foods such as baked goods, processed food, margarine, fried items often contain high levels of Trans fats. You can swap your hydrogenated vegetable oils for a healthy fat option like extra virgin olive oil. The chances of infertility are often exacerbated by women suffering from Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOs).
- It may be beneficial to follow a low-carb diet. Such a diet will help to maintain healthy body weight and will ensure regular menstrual cycles by keeping insulin levels in check. It is important to eat fewer carbs and also to reduce consumption of refined carbs such as sweet foods and drinks, and grains such as white pasta, rice, and bread. Refined carbs get absorbed in the body very quickly and increase blood sugar and insulin levels.
- The best way to keep your body healthy, and to keep your hormones and blood sugar levels balanced, is to follow a diet full of high fiber foods such as whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits.
- Research shows that proteins derived from an animal such as meat and fish increase the risk of infertility. Swapping protein sources to vegetable-derived protein may improve your chances of fertility.
Have a bigger and fuller breakfast
Studies show that having a bigger breakfast improve irregularity in the hormone that is caused by PCOs. Increase your calorie intake at breakfast than at your evening meal to improve fertility. However, increasing your breakfast and not reducing the amount of your evening meal will cause you to gain weight.
In your breakfast, replace your low-fat dairy food with high-fat versions of them to improve your fertility. Instead of having a low-fat dairy serving, have a glass of whole milk. With this, you need to Prepare body for Pregnancy.
If your body is failing to get all the required nutrients from your diet then taking multivitamins will help to boost your fertility. Insufficient levels of iron, zinc, protein, folic acid, and Vitamin C and E are often associated with increased infertility among women. That is why multivitamins may help you to get pregnant.
If you lack sufficient iron then intaking iron supplements and plant-based iron will help to decrease the chances of ovulatory infertility.
Drinking 7 to 8 glasses of water or healthy organic beverages every day is crucial. Hydrating well will ensure that the excess toxins in your body are flushed out.
Give up drinking alcohol
Alcohol consumption is always bad news for expecting mothers or the ones who are trying to get pregnant. Alcohol affects estrogen levels which harm the fetus and also delay the process of egg implantation. Research shows that even two glasses of any alcoholic drink per day have the ability to reduced fertility by almost 60%. Doing this can increase the Possibility of Pregnancy.
Reduce caffeine consumption
Even though coffee is not as harmful as alcohol research shows that coffee also can delay conception. Research has found that women who had more than 4 cups of coffee per day faced more problems at getting pregnant. Any other beverages such as fizzy drinks that have caffeine should also be avoided.
Smoking is very harmful to fertility and this applies to both men and women. Nicotine can affect DNA and this causes multiple birth defects in babies. You can consider taking necessary supplements as Supplements help you to Conceive.
Reduce your stress and sleep more
Lack of proper sleep can affect the hormone regulatory system in your body and it can cause your menstrual cycle to be irregular. If your ovulation period shortens then you will have an even smaller window for getting pregnant. Lesser sleep also increases the stress hormones in your body which again adversely affects your fertility.
Exercising or at least meditation and yoga has been recorded to be extremely effective in increasing fertility rates. Exercise secretes endorphins which reduces stress and excess weight. Research shows that at least 4 days of intense workout per week can improve the probability of getting pregnant.
Have a lot of sex
This one goes without saying. This is the most essential component of getting pregnant but the waiting and the anticipation can become a little too frustrating sometimes. Worrying too much about getting pregnant affects fertility in both men and women.
Research shows that having sex more often improves fertility. So keep things light and instead of getting too worked up about the temperature and ovulation days spend intimate time with your partner keep things spicy and romantic.
Stay away from chemical lubricants
Now that you are likely having more sex, you may need to use lubricants to prevent getting dry. However lubricants, while offering smoother penetration, can also destroy sperms. Most lubricants include spermicidal ingredients and unknowingly is the reason why you are having problems getting pregnant. One sperm friendly and natural lubricant can be egg whites.
Lay on your back for some time after having sex
Stay relaxed and lie on your back for some time to give the sperms a better chance at swimming and reaching the egg. Some doctors suggest lying down for a while after having sex and putting the legs up in the air so that the sperm get some additional help.
Stop taking contraceptive pills beforehand
Doctors suggest getting off contraceptive pills at least 4 months before you attempt getting pregnant. However, there are also researches that show that women are most fertile in the first few months when they first get off the pills so don’t worry too much about it. Birth Control Pills may lead to unwanted complications.
Get your medicines checked
If you take any medication for any pre-existing physical and/or mental health conditions, you should ask your doctor to prescribe you pregnancy-friendly medicines. Hormone based skin treatment, cancer treatment, depression medicines, and steroids can affect your fertility.
Most couples that have followed these effective ways had reported conceiving within 1 year. If you adjust your lifestyle and maintain healthy habits then you will soon have a baby of your own. So don’t worry if your family is taking a little longer to start and instead enjoy this whole journey.
FAQs about to Boost Fertility
Is the problem in getting pregnant caused only by women?
This is a widely-held misunderstanding that all problems related to fertility accrue to the women’s ovaries or age. In case you fail to get pregnant within one year of trying, even after following the above mentioned effective ways, you should get your partner’s sperm count checked.
When am I most fertile?
The most fertile window is 2 or 3 days before your ovulation and also the day of your ovulation. To maximize your chances of getting pregnant, you should have sex every day starting from 3 days before your ovulation.
Is there any best time for having sex which ensures conception?
Yes, you should more sex when you are in your fertile phase. Women are most fertile on the day they ovulate which typically occurs around the 14th day of a menstrual cycle.
How many times should we have sex to get pregnant?
Doctors recommend having sex every day on the most fertile days of the month. However, do what you feel comfortable with. Having regular sex will not weaken the sperm count of the man.
- Late Ovulation: Causes, Symptoms, and Remedies
- 7 Tips To Improve Egg Quality
- 1st Week of Pregnancy: Changes, Symptoms, Signs & More
- 12 yoga asanas for male fertility (+Benefits)
- Top 28 Things to Do Before Getting Pregnant
Mother of Two children. I’m a former teacher with a background in child development and a passion for Good parenting. I understand child development and know how to develop activities to help children learn and grow. Spare time, I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, and volunteering in my community.