One of the most amusing things that you may want to do while pregnant is to go out and enjoy the fresh air. You may make plans for a short trip to the nearest beach for a change of air or may plan to go out for a long drive to come out of the monotonicity.
But one thing that you need to remember is that the moment you step out of the house, you are exposed to sunlight and you need to protect yourself from sunburns.
How can you avoid sunburns?
- Always use a sunscreen lotion to avoid sunburns.
- Use an umbrella every time you decide to go out of your house.
- Avoid going out of the house when the sun is at the zenith.
- Wear full sleeves to avoid exposure to the sunlight.
- Apply aloe vera oil on your skin.
While they are the best source of vitamin D, excess sunlight can pose certain risks. Let us see what can be done to avoid sunburns during pregnancy.
Why avoid sunburns?
You may be wondering now that why do you need to avoid sunburns during pregnancy.
- One of the biggest reasons is that severe sunburns can cause irritation and your skin may get tanned.
- Being exposed to the sunlight also exposes you to the harmful UV rays that cause skin cancer. So, while you are pregnant, you and your baby, both are at the risk of being affected.
- Also, sunburns cause blisters and redden your skin. This damages the natural protection that your skin provides. The effects can be long-lasting and they cannot be reversed easily. This will also cause pain and irritation to a great extent.
- Sunburns also increase the rate of aging of your skin and thus, you may look older than your age. So, to retain your youth besides avoiding all the diseases from which you may get affected, avoiding sunburns is important.
How can you avoid sunburns
Now that you know why it is wise and important to avoid sunburns, here are some of the ways that you can follow to protect yourself. The steps are easy and involve no special attention from you.
Avoid going out when the sun is at its peak
It is best if you choose not to go out of your house when the sun is at the zenith. The heat and the sunlight are too intense and can cause severe sunburns which are not desirable at any cost.
You may need to go out of your house in such a time of the day, so, ensure that you are fully protected against the sunlight. As a husband, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are taking proper care of your pregnant wife.
Use sunscreen before you go out
This is one of the best options you have in front of you when you are looking forward to avoiding sunburns during pregnancy. Using a good sunscreen is recommended but you should use it as your last barrier.
A sunscreen is after made using chemicals. It may also happen that your body is sensitive to the chemicals and using it for a long period may have different effects on your skin.
Drink a lot of water
Besides tanning your body, sunburns can also lead to dehydration of your body. So, drink a lot of water daily to avoid being dehydrated. Drinking water will also keep your body cool and keep you energized while you are out.
This will also ensure that the fetus is safe from the heat. Thus, remember to keep drinking water frequently when you are outside your house during pregnancy.
Cover your body
Avoiding sunburns can be done by covering your body. Being exposed to the sunlight is the major cause of sunburns. So, it is wise to cover up your body by wearing dresses that cover your body from being exposed to sunlight.
Also, you need to take special care of your belly since the bump is exposed to sunlight from all the angles and is at a greater risk. So, ensure that it is covered all the time.
Wear hats and sunglasses
Wearing dresses that cover your body from being exposed to the sunlight does all the work. You should also wear sunglasses and wide-brimmed hats to protect your face from the sunlight.
So, these were some of the steps that you can follow to avoid sunburns while you are pregnant. Also, you now know why it is important to avoid sunburn during pregnancy. So, try to follow these steps as much as possible so that you and your baby are safe. Right from the 7th week of pregnancy, these precautions need to be taken.
What if you already have sunburns?
The steps we mentioned above are the ones that you need to follow to avoid sunburn. But it is not a surprise that you already have sunburns. You may think about the things that you can do now to reverse the effects.
It is hardly easy to reverse sunburn effects. But also, it is not impossible and thus, you can very well start some treatments. We have listed a few of them and here it goes.
Apply aloe vera
One of the most effective and natural ways to get relief from sunburns is to apply aloe vera gel on the areas affected. This will have noticeable effects on the affected areas and will relieve you fast.
Aloe vera gel or aloe vera body lotions will relieve you from the sunburn pains. Besides, aloe vera is a good moisturizer and will smoothen your skin and keep it hydrated too.
Use lavender oil
Using lavender oil in small amounts is also an effective natural remedy that will not cause any damage to you and your baby. All you need to do is to apply lavender oil on the affected areas in a small amount.
Doing so will soothe the sunburnt skin and will relieve you a lot.
Try to keep your body cool
It is a good idea to keep your body cool to avoid sunburns. You can do this by drinking a lot of water. Drinking water will also keep you and your baby hydrated properly.
If you are visiting a place near a pool, you may choose to take a dip in the water and keep your body cool.
Consult a dermatologist
If you have sunburns and you are highly discomforted with them, do not delay in consulting with a dermatologist. A dermatologist can understand the severity of the sunburns and can treat you accordingly.
The medicines that are given, if needed, will relieve you in no time, and thus, consulting a dermatologist is the best option available to you.
Thus, keep in mind all the above points to stay healthy and safe from the harmful rays of the sun. Do not forget that you are not alone now and anything that affects you also affects your baby. So, stay protected.
Frequently Asked Questions on Avoiding Sunburn During Pregnancy
1. How often do we need to apply sunscreen?
You should apply sunscreen after every four hours.
2. When shall we go out to avoid sunburns?
It is best if you decide to go out in the morning. This will fulfill your vitamin D requirements and also not cause severe sunburns.
3. Do we need to follow these steps throughout the year?
Yes. Most of the serious cases of sunburns are known to happen during the winter season.
4. What sunscreen do we use?
Use any sunscreen with SPF 30 and above.
5. Do we need to consult a dermatologist often?
You should consult a dermatologist immediately after you notice sunburns during your pregnancy to avoid any harm to the baby.
- 42 Week by Week: Pregnancy Symptoms, Care and Tips
- Swimming During Pregnancy Guide- Everything You Should Know
- 19th Week of Pregnancy: Body Changes, Symptoms, Foods & Care Tips
- Sunbathing While Pregnant: 7 Precautions You Should Take
- 10 Tips To Get Rid Of Itchy Breasts During Pregnancy
Mother of Two children. I’m a former teacher with a background in child development and a passion for Good parenting. I understand child development and know how to develop activities to help children learn and grow. Spare time, I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, and volunteering in my community.